The position of Teacher involves responsibility of the academic portion and related activities for FSYR Donald Ralph Cooke School. The Teacher assists the Director of Education in planning and implementing the education program to ensure its smooth operation. The Teacher helps to develop esprit de corps among staff and youth in the best interest of the program. All teaching staff will participate in our summer school program.
The Teacher is directly responsible to the Director of Education. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and responsibilities are given as examples of the various types of work performed in this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Coordinates testing and diagnosis of each youth with regard to academic level, educational weakness, needs and abilities providing academic feedback to students (ex. data chats).
- Provides meaningful instruction in academic subjects, with high expectations and accountability for student academic performance. This is to include individualized assistance to students after school as needed.
- Provide lessons and activities meeting expectations of accreditation and our program for an engaging learning environment. Science teachers will be responsible for at least 1 lab per quarter for all high school science courses and 1 lab per semester for middle school courses.
- Responsible for cultivating an equitable learning environment of respect, fairness and inclusion.
- Utilizes digital learning, as well as other learning modalities within the classroom.
- Creates a supportive learning environment.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the equipment and teaching materials utilized in the program.
- Assists the Director of Education in evaluating and ordering necessary educational materials and related supplies within budgetary limitations.
- Provides a well-managed classroom environment, utilizing the principles of Trust Based Relational Intervention (TBRI). An environment in which students clearly understand the rules and expectations of the classroom.
- Ensures cleanliness and maintenance of the academic areas; and promptly reports any needed maintenance and repairs.
- Maintains accurate records and other necessary administrative duties.
- Responsible for attending and participating in staff meetings, team meetings, completing mandated training as well as required annual hours, and in-service training sessions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A bachelor’s degree in Education and a Florida Teaching Certificate is preferred for the core academic courses of Social Science, Math, English/Language Arts, and Science. However, a bachelor’s degree related to a field of study or experience working in an occupation related to the teaching field will be considered. Candidates applying for elective positions can be considered if they hold a degree in a related field or possess experience in a related field.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each area of responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Must have the ability to interact and relate with youth in care.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, government regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals; ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups.
- Must have the ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability, statistics; ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw
conclusions; ability to interpret extensive variety of instructions; ability to deal with problems involving a variety of situations.
- Must have a valid Florida Driver License and be able to maintain a safe driving record consistent with agency policy.
The physical requirements described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands and fingers, handle or feel. This employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to sit, hear, and talk extensively. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
Working conditions for this job may include outdoor weather conditions and working near mechanical moving parts. Work is generally performed in a classroom environment. The work schedule will be developed so as to provide maximum service to the youth in program. Scheduled hours of work may vary and include a full day Monday through Friday and half days during the summer.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Open until filled.
For more information, please contact:
Dana Drawdy, Director of Education – email@example.com