The Farm Assistant is responsible for supporting Farm Staff in the total operation of the farm.
The Farm Assistant reports directly to the Farm Director.
This position is hourly, however not eligible for overtime pay.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and responsibilities are given as examples of the various types of work performed in this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Ensures that farm grounds, fences, vehicles, equipment, buildings, crops, animals and timber stands are maintained in an attractive, healthy or functional manner at all times.
- Assists other Farm Staff in always providing staff coverage of the day-to-day activities of the farm.
- Assists in the sales and production management of farm livestock, including but not limited to, cattle, horses, and small animals.
- Assists with developing, implementing, and supervising youth in a planned program for youth participation in extracurricular activities such as 4-H, FFA, horseback riding, vocational exploration and recreation utilizing the farm assets (crops, timber, cattle, small animals, wildlife, horses, etc,)
- Provides supervision, training, instruction, and real experiences to youth in the work program on the maintenance and operation of a farm, its equipment, timber, crops and livestock.
- Assists in the planning, management and maintenance of field crops and pastures, and timber stands, wildlife, soil, and water conservation of Youth Ranches land.
- Assists in non-cash pick-ups and supporting other Youth Ranches programs relating to farm activities.
- Represents the Youth Ranches in a professional manner and supervises and transports youth to external activities such as horse shows, competitions, agricultural exhibits, etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent and 5 years experience in an agricultural or related field.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each area of responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Must have general knowledge of agricultural operations, including but not limited to, cattle, horses, forestry, hay production, equipment operation, wildlife and soil and water conservation.
- Must have the ability to plan and organize work.
- Must have the ability to interact with youth in a teaching and learning work environment.
- Must have the ability to work cooperatively with staff, youth, and the public.
- Must be a role model and present a positive image.
- Must have the ability to operate (or learn to operate) a variety of agricultural equipment.
- Must have the ability to build fences, repair barns, repair and maintain farm equipment, operate farm machinery, work livestock and ride horses.
- Must have the ability to listen and counsel.
- Must have the ability to keep and maintain meaningful work records.
- Must be flexible in work schedule and able to work long hours, including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
- Must have a valid Florida Driver License and be able to maintain a safe driving record consistent with agency policy.
The physical requirements described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and use hands and fingers to feel and handle items. This employee is occasionally required to sit, talk, climb balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and the ability to focus.
Working conditions for this job may include outdoor weather conditions, working near mechanical moving parts and exposure to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Open until filled.
For more information, please contact:
Jeff Parker, Farm Director – email@example.com